Tuesday, April 14, 2009

“Grapes”, A Classy Port Jefferson Metro-Retro Home Boutique

It has been over thirty years since I visited Port Jefferson, a charming village located approximately 56 miles east of New York City, in the northern part of central Suffolk County. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this tree lined seaside artsy community was alive and well with eateries, boutiques, galleries and historic buildings.
After a delicious lunch at “Z Pita” on Main Street, I headed to “Grapes” ( 138 Main St.) a classy yet quirky home gift shop with an eye catching purple painted vintage Hoosier Cabinet in one window and a fab cream and green enamel stove in the opposite window. Let me tell you that when I spotted “Grapes” from across the street, my retro nerve center was lighting up like the Manhattan electric grid that covers Times Square.
I knew as soon as I opened the door of this very cool boutique, that I was in my retro-vintage zone. Before I go any further, I want to be clear, this was not an antique shop, but it certainly had great “old stuff”. Perhaps one might describe “Grapes” as a charming shop that is styled with a “Metro Retro” or “Fresh Vintage” flair. Whatever you want to call “the look”, this trendy boutique combines country with urban ; forties with contemporary and mid-century with cottage creating a whole new take on home décor and entertaining.
“Grapes” , like similar stores that attract younger upscale shoppers has found a way to re-interpret vintage so that whimsy is “in” and classic is “out”. I am sure the average person would not think of “Grapes” as an “antique shop”, but there is nothing average about this store. Hand painted dinnerware, one of a kind pottery, handcrafted photo albums and so much more are all mixed with lots of “antiques and collectibles” in some wonderful unique and funky displays.
The best way of thinking about “Grapes” is that it is a specialty shop for the “thirty something” vintage voyeur who enjoys mixing moxie with martinis and serving drinks from a purple painted Hoosier cabinet.
C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro café.

To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link:
C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff

Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com

Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com


Dianne is a member of:
The American Society of Journalists and Authors
The Authors Guild, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis