Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Retro Christmas in Fresh Meadows, New York

Christmas in Fresh Meadows, New York

One of my fondest childhood Christmas memories is making a life size holiday book of Christmas images and bringing the book to share with children who were hospitalized during the holidays. I created this huge holiday book with my childhood friend Sharon. Sharon was one of my earliest pals who lived in the apartment right below mine in Fresh Meadows New York. Those were the good ole days when you grew up with lots of playmates right in your building or next door.

Chatting the Old Fashioned Way

Sharon and I liked to chat on the play phone our parents hooked up between the two apartments. We would talk to each other about our imaginary friends Enik and Ernik. (I am not kidding).


Visiting Hospitalized children in the 1950's During the Holidays


Well back to the 1950's Christmas trip to the hospital. So Sharon and I made this giant book and took the bus to our local hospital. It was a bit scary, but we had a goal in mind and once we focused on showing the pictures to the kids, we were feeling great. I wished I had saved that book, but I think I may have donated it to the children's ward at the time.

Drawing Symmetr
ical Christmas Trees

Sharon and I loved coloring holiday images of Christmas trees, candy canes, mittens, wrapped presents, snow covered houses, holiday decorated rooms etc. I can still see myself trying to draw a Christmas tree that had symmetrical branches and hanging ornaments.

Great Job For Two Friends Who Celebrate
Chanukah

We did a great job for two kids who celebrated Chanukah.
More about latkes and dreidels later.

Christmas collectibles shown in this post are from The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford , CT.


C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.

To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link:
C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff

Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com

Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com

Dianne is a member of:
The American Society of Journalists and Authors
The Authors Guild, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis