Saturday, July 24, 2010

Vintage Wallpaper is Charming For Your Country Cottage Or Retro Kitchen

I am always after great kitschy kitchen wallpaper, especially patterns of the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. I have decided to show you some adorable kitchen samples from Hannah's Treasures, a terrific on-line resources with a large inventory.

While working on my second book, Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes, I discovered Hannah's Treasures and showcase many examples of their wonderful papers in my book.

Country Cottage Kitchen

The papers shown in this post were first presented in my chapter "Country Cottage Kitchen" in Hot Cottage Collectibles For Vintage Style Homes. Whether you use papers like this in a cottage home or in a retro kitchen, the overall look is charming and attractive.

Kitchen papers were typically patterns of ivy, plaids, cherries, bricks, florals, lattice, geometrics, stripes, tweeds, housewares, plates, leaves, bouquets, fruit, farm scenes and more.

Color Palettes Of 1930s, 1940s, 1950s Kitchen Wallpaper

Color palettes in the 30s and 40s were generally softer than the later decades. Soft pastels of yellow, green, blue, gray, rose, beige, cream were typical.

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.comVisit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of:The American Society of Journalists and AuthorsThe Authors Guild, Inc.

2 comments:

  1. I purchased two rolls of fantastic paper from Hannah's Treasures a few years ago. I was going to paper one wall in my "studio" room. They were dreadfully expensive. Two years later, the paper is still sitting on the shelf unused because it turned out to be so difficult to hang.
    I went on a wallpaper guild website for advice on how to apply it to the wall - I figured a novice paperhanger was NOT going to do this right without some help from the pros. Every comment to my query was met with "hire a professional". These people are wallpaper craftsmen and so they encourage supporting the dying art of paper hanging with real paper, I suppose. But they scared me enough to make me call a few pros.
    Two estimates later and it seems that it's very tedious to hang this right (scenics on movie sets know what they are doing) and expensive if you want a professional to do it.
    I chose not to pay hundreds of dollars to cover an 8' x 10' wall. So, sadly, my beautiful paper sits idly on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I know what you are saying. I have some waiting for me right now. BUT what are you going to do with that paper if you don't attempt to hang it? You've already spent the money. Go for it! Just know that it isn't going to hang like new modern paper. Don't expect to get very far very fast. And then if it just won't hang, take off any that you were able to hang and give up. If you don't try, you'll never know if you could have done it. Maybe a strip a day?

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis